Friday, August 20, 2010

Moments that Change my World

I said I was going to bed, which I was preparing to do, when my friend Becky messaged me on Facebook.

"I just wanted to say thankyou," she said.

"You're welcome!" I replied, a little bewildered. "Thank you for what?"

"I dont no if you realize this, but you offered me a haven. I'm where Im at now because of the friendship you offered. :)You rock."

For those of you who haven't had a chance to experience the Foxx Den, I will often open my home to youth in a tight spot.

Has this brought me trouble? Occasionally. But no one has ever stolen from me, or brought lawless intent into my space.

Has my hospitality been abused? Occasionally. But no one has been ungrateful, or ungracious when asked to leave.

Has it been draining on me? Occasionally. But I've always gained more than I've lost. Their lessons and perspectives are invaluable.

Not on one occasion have I regretted the decision to save someone from a night on the street. And its moments like this that perspective falls into place and the world becomes impossibly simple. A full meal and a safe bed will change a life faster than gold or lead.

To assuage the fear that lies at the heart of hopelessness, if just for a moment, is to give the world a glimmer of hope; maybe one day, if the world gets enough help, the waves of fear will roll back from all of us.

Until then, if I can ensure that one more person can wake up to a hopeful dawn, a thank you is more than enough reward. It gives to me as much as I ever offered them.

For that gift, to know that another life will forever be better through my actions, I offer my heartfelt thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment